Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you wished you had a hidden recorder with you? Body cameras are designed with that exact need in mind. So, you can use them to capture some secretive evidence or just for fun.
You can even use them as part of your fishing equipment so you can record your buddies enjoying the fishing trips. But before you purchase any cam, here are the 3 things to remember:
- Body cams have different video recording and playback power
- Battery life varies greatly across the board
- Be sure to confirm the memory capacity of the cam before getting it
That said, here’s a detailed review aimed at helping you get the best body camera.
Body Camera – Comparison
Whether you’re looking for an average-sized camera or a super-tiny one, there’s no denying that these gadgets can be of great use. Here’s a rundown of some options available at your disposal.
|Ranking||Product Name||Brand||Model Name|
|1||Veho VCC-005-MUVI-HD10 Body Camera||Veho||VCC-005-MUVI-HD10|
|2||Pyle PPBCM9 Portable Body Camera||Pyle||Pyle Premium Portable Body Camera|
|3||Horonzo 1080P Mini Hidden Body Camera||–||–|
|4||Safevant Multi-functional Body Camera||SAFEVANT||–|
|5||R-Tech Body Camera||–||–|
|7||Faleemi FSC776B HD Body Camera||Faleemi||–|
|8||MIUFLY Police Body Camera||MIUFLY||–|
|9||Campark ACT74 16MP Action Camera||Campark||–|
|10||The Uyikoo 1080P Hidden Spy Camera||–||–|
1. Veho VCC-005-MUVI-HD10 Body Camera
The Veho VCC-005-MUVI-HD10 is the kind of camera you go for when you want to achieve a 1080p HD recording power. The body cam comes with a creative clip which enables it to be easily mounted on clothing.
You can even choose to mount it on a helmet or tripod so you can record content at creative angles.
Moving on, this HD Action camcorder boasts a 160-degree field of view. It comes with a fixed focus lens complete with controls that are extremely easy to use.
On top of that, the Muvi HD10 comes with an intuitive 1.5-inch LCD display which has a 3X digital zoom. That’s in addition to a wireless remote which helps you control it remotely and discreetly.
Last but not least, this tiny camera presents you with the ability to edit your recorded footage either through a Mac or Windows PC.
- Great battery life
- Comes with a free 4GB memory card
- 160-degree field of view (pretty wide)
- Free helmet mount included
- The widest angle can only be captured using the 720p mode
2. Pyle PPBCM9 Portable Body Camera
If you’re looking for a remote-controlled body camera, this one from Pyle might just be what you need. Its great recording powers make it a compact video recorder which can even be used in law enforcement duties.
Indeed, this is one of the few digital cameras that allow you to capture and easily transfer the content to a computer device. This is achieved easily thanks to a USB connection cable and Micro SD slot that’s provided.
The main selling point of the Pyle PPBCM9 is that it has a fantastic battery life. In fact, you can capture up to 6 hours of audio recording or 10,000+ images on a single (full) recharge.
- Equipped with night-vision video recording features
- Great battery life
- This is a multifunction unit
- Seamless file transfer
- Rugged and water-resistant construction
- Battery drains out fast when recording on high resolution
- Its remote isn’t hardy
3. Horonzo 1080P Mini Hidden Body Camera
The Horonzo is, no doubt, the tiniest body cam we’ve come across in a long time. Measuring just about 3 X 2.8 x 1 inch, this camera weighs a paltry 2.7 ounces.
As you can imagine, it’s so tiny that you can fit it in your clothes, walk around with it and nobody will even notice it. But don’t let its miniature stature fool you, this mini-sized camera is a true workhorse.
Although it’s an under 25 camera, it boasts a 1080p high definition video recording power. And to top it all up, the gadget comes with excellent night vision and motion detection features.
- High video and audio content quality
- The camera is motion activated and detects even the slightest motion to begin recording
- Can support up to 32GB worth of memory card storage
- Superb, discrete surveillance camera
- Allows for loop recording meaning it wipes old files and replaces them with new ones
- No memory card included
- Its tiny size might make it difficult for some to use
You may love to read: Best Camera Cleaning Kits – Buying Guide
4. Safevant Multi-functional Body Camera with 1296P
The Safevant is a body-mounted device with a superb 1296P HD video recording power. On top of that, this camera provides a superior 140-degree wide angle recording power.
As if that’s not enough, this cam comes with a 16X digital zoom gives you all the power you need to record footage on a wide field of view.
But the icing on the cake is that the Safevant 1296P is pretty easy to operate. In fact, it has an infrared light which complements its night vision video recording power.
Moving on, the body cam is well-built and housed inside a strong and shock-resistant housing. The housing is also pretty tough and water-resistant with an IP66 protection.
- Capable of providing 64GB memory capacity
- It’s extremely easy to transfer and share files using it
- Equipped with a high capacity infra-red recording power
- Comes with a built-in 3000mAh battery which is rechargeable
- The camera’s recording can be activated with a single touch of a button
- Lacks a remote control feature
- Its body isn’t really user-friendly and a few tweaks would improve it
5. R-Tech Body Camera
Designed as a police body camera, this multipurpose body camera is highly reliable. It offers a pretty wide field of view which enables you to capture every tiny detail.
To top it all up, this device boasts an incredibly long battery life. In fact, you can use it to record up to 6.5 hours provided you use the camera at 480P resolution.
That comes in addition to an 850nm high-intensity infrared recording power. You can simply turn this on or off through a simple push button. In other words, you can easily record content even under pitch darkness.
Most importantly, this camera comes with a 30-day money back guarantee and a 1-year warranty. This, therefore, gives you a chance to enjoy good value for money on your purchase.
- Boasts a huge built-in storage
- Great battery life and power per charge
- Comes with two clips for easy mounting
- Wide field of view
- Has a full 1296p recording which allows you to capture every tiny detail
- Short battery life when operating at 1296p
- Quite expensive
6. GoPro Fusion
The GoPro Fusion stands out from the pack all thanks to its compact and lightweight design. And despite its small size and stature it still feels solid and quite powerful. If you’ve used body cams before you probably know that there’s something quite reassuring about that.
The camera’s body is protected by a rubberized material which also provides an extra grip. But perhaps what attracts one to this tiny GoPro camera is its ability to capture high-quality video content. Armed with a 5.2K spherical video recorder, the Fusion is loved by those who value clarity.
- High-quality video content
- Compatible with iPad mini 4, iPhone 6 and later devices
- Captures 18MP photos
- Highly user-friendly
- Designed to be waterproof
- Good value for money
- The camera may fail to recharge reliably as it ages
- Some users have complained of firmware issues
7. Faleemi FSC776B HD Body Camera
The Faleemi is by no means a powerful recorder but it packs just enough power to get the job done. For instance, it boasts a 720P resolution alongside a 30fps power. This ensures that whatever content it records captures all the tiny and necessary details.
Moving on, setting up and integrating the Faleemi is quite easy. In fact, it uses a 3-step QR code setup process which entails the generation of a SmartLink.
But beyond all the glamor and glitz, this body cam boasts a wide viewing angle of 270 degrees. That’s alongside a reliable Infra-Red LED recording power which makes this suitable for round-the-clock recording.
Also, please note that this device comes with a WiFi capability which makes it even more user-friendly.
- An above-average recording and playback power
- WiFi enabled
- Easy to use
- Allows for 24-hour monitoring
- Backed by a 1-year warranty
- Not rugged or weather-proof
- A bit complicated to operate
8. MIUFLY Police Body Camera with 2-Inch Display
This widely popular security gadget is loved by many for its powerful and rugged body. But what kind of a system lies beyond that mean looking body?
A closer look at its specs reveals that first off, it comes with a 64GB built-in memory. That’s just enough memory capacity to store all the crucial video and image files for you.
On top of that, it comes with a powerful 2900mAh battery which lets you record for up to 10 hours in a row. Yup, you read that right. With this QC passed gadget, you can record for a whole 10 hours without power interruption.
To wrap it up, this is the strongest body camera battery power we’ve encountered so far in our research. We, therefore, think this is a great device for security and ordinary day-to-day use.
- Remarkably long battery life
- Awesome body with a great grip
- Powered by a 2-inch LCD monitor screen for intuitive use
- Easy to use
- A bit huge and, therefore, less discrete
- Its audio recording power is below par
9. Campark ACT74 16MP Action Camera
This is a low-priced body camera alternative that you can use to capture high-quality content. It comes with a huge range of accessories. For instance, it has a front-facing LED for enhanced recording experience.
You’ll also be glad to learn that it comes with a handy time-lapse function. And as if that’s not enough, you can confidently use it to record in 4K resolution or 720p at slow-mo.
Despite its low price (it’s one of the few good body cameras under 100 options) its colors are fairly accurate. However, they don’t pop up as much as they’d do on a GoPro.
- Relatively easy to use
- Relatively good video quality
- Great audio quality
- Affordably priced
- The audio recorder picks up some wind noise when the recording on the move
10. The Uyikoo 1080P Hidden Spy Camera
If you though the Horonzo 1080P was tiny, prepare to be surprised by the Uyikoo. Tiny enough to fit within the buttonhole of your shirt, this body cam is loved by many for its discreteness.
The spy camera offers an incredible 1080P video recording power. Although that isn’t as perfect as 4K video recording power, we believe it is good enough to capture clear and vivid details.
However, recording at 1080P resolution requires a lot of power. Therefore, this cam comes with the power to record 5-minute clips at a time.
On top of that, it’s equipped with a powerful motion detection power. This ensures that the gadget is automatically turned on for use whenever there’s activity.
While its tiny size might be mistaken for a limitation, it’s great to learn that the cam comes with an SD card slot. This slot allows you to insert up to 32GB worth of a memory card.
On the flipside, though, the manufacturer doesn’t include a free memory card which means you’d need to buy one separately. But at a price that’s well below $30, we still think this is a fairly good deal.
- Great video recording, resolution and playback power
- An above average battery
- Automatically turned on through motion detection
- Easy to use
- Quite tiny and, therefore, discrete
- Too tiny to an extent that it might be a little difficult to handle and operate
- Doesn’t come with a pre-installed memory card
- Not ideal for recording long video sessions
The Buying Guide For Body Camera
Before you commit your funds on any body-camera model, you need to keep a few facts in mind. First, although these cameras are handy, you don’t need to break the bank to get them. You only need to find one that suits your budget range. As we’ve seen above, you can always find a model at $25 or thereabouts.
Moving on, it’s important to consider going for a camera with a great battery life. Most importantly, one that’s capable of recording at least several hours of high-quality video footage.
Last but not least, for 24-hour surveillance, consider investing in a unit with infrared capabilities.
Which One Is Best For You?
Having considered all those factors, our editors arrived at a unanimous verdict that the Campark ACT74 is the best body camera in 2018. That’s because of its incredible ability to balance features with reliability. However, if you’re really on a tight budget and simply want a tiny camera that can get the job done, we’d recommend the Horonzo 1080P Mini.
The good thing about body cameras is that there’s always something for everyone. So, look closer and you’re bound to discover lots of value waiting just for you. Thankfully, our reviews have all that stuff figured out for you, already.